by Bryan Kowalchuk
After riding and racing dirt bikes for years, I started having problems with my arms and hands. I just couldn't maintain a hold on the handlebars like I used to and enjoyment of my ride suffered as a result.
The constant pounding and bigger hits on the rougher tracks and trails would quickly fatigue my hands until I had slow down. Add a few more hits and it became very difficult to work the controls. Not only was this frustrating, it was dangerous. I wasn't alone. Many riders, young and old experience similar problems with fatigue, numb hands or arm pump.
I still loved the sport and didnâ€™t want to it give up. Being an inventor, I tasked myself with coming up with a solution and the AHIS project was conceived.
What is AHIS?
AHIS is the Advanced Handlebar Isolation System. Think of it as a suspension system for your motorcycle handlebars. The suspension on your motorcycle isolates the motorcycle from the terrain. AHIS isolates the rider from the motorcycle. Your bikes' suspension can only do so much; AHIS takes it one step further in smoothing out your ride.
What Motorcycles Does AHIS Fit?
AHIS will bolt right onto the following motorcycles:
- 2000 - 2017 KTM 85cc thru 690cc & KTM 1190/1290 Adventure with stock triple clamps
- 2003 - 2014 Husaberg 125-570 with stock triple clamps
- 2014 - 2017 Husqvarna 85-501 with stock triple clamps
- 2012 - 2017 Beta off-road models (not trials)
- 2014 - 2017 Sherco off-road models (not trials)
AHIS will currently NOT fit newer KTM motorcycles with the rubber isolated handlebar
Adapters will be available for other motorcycle models if there is sufficient demand. Contact BKE Racing if AHIS is not yet available for your bike.
AHIS Design Features
- Highest quality materials - Stainless Steel and aerospace-grade aluminum.
- Lightweight and compact - Less 100g (3.3oz) more than stock handlebar clamps, takes no more room on your triple clamps.
- Effective and adjustable - Two mounting positions and optional bumpers to vary stiffness
Simply replace your existing handlebar clamps with AHIS. Click on the video to see how it is done.
Installation is quick and easy. Use your existing handle bars and hand guards. High tech elastomer bushings and a composite bearing provide isolation from bumps, hits and vibration.
Mount AHIS two different ways:
- Install bumpers forward for faster, rougher terrain like desert racing or faster cross country races
- Install bumpers back for a softer feel on slower terrain like you might get in more technical enduros or endurocross
Try it both ways, and pick the method that works best for you!. Harder and softer bumpers are available so you can tune AHIS to the terrain, preference and riding style.
- Remove the existing handlebar clamp, handlebars and handlebar supports. You will reuse the handlebar clamps and clamp screws.
- Choose bumper forward or bumper back location and install the AHIS by tightening the mounting screw to 40 Nm (30 ft-lbs). Additional thread locking compound is not required as it is pre-installed on the screw.
- Reinstall the handlebars and handlebars clamps and torque the screws to 20 Nm (15 ft-lbs)
- AHIS might loosen up a little as it wears in. If there is too much play in bar motion, simply tighten the pre-load adjustment screws located on each bar clamp.
Under normal operations, the AHIS clamp should not require maintenance. However, inspect clamps for wear or breakage monthly.
If vehicle is crashed, inspect clamps before continuing to ride. Do not ride with damaged clamps. If required, contact BKE Racing for replacement parts.